I wanted to share my personal take on the gold clutch kit that I designed with Darby Smart. When they sent me their project photos, I laughed because the design I tried is the exact inverse of theirs! Too funny.
I wanted to go with more of an aged look, so I didn't fill the entire space with the gold leaf. The edges are a little irregular, too, and I'm likin' it! The sample photos from DS show the gold a little more solid, but that's the great thing about these kits - you can create your project exactly the way you like it.
The clutch is tall enough that you could carry it folded over, too.
Here are some of my tips for making this kit on your own:
- Don't bother trying to tape off a design. It may give you clean glue edges, but it will pick up the texture of the suede! Eek! Just free-hand your design with the brush.
- Stick to simple shapes or patterns.
- Apply the glue in sections. Some of it may start drying before you can get the gold on there, so take it slow.
- Some of the gold will flake off. When it does, just go back with another round of glue and fill in the bare spots.
- Save your gold leaf scraps! Even the smallest pieces can be used for other fun projects, like my confetti bowl project or gold leaf manicure.
- Have fun!
If you order a kit for yourself I'd love to see how your clutch turned out. Post it on Twitter or Instagram and link to me @vitaminimodern!